Friday, September 14, 2012

Crib sides repurposed

I LOVE a good repurpose- the ultimate form of recycling ( my husband should be proud). Everything on this is Pinterest inspired in some way shape or form I am sure.

We are beginning a new semi structured preschool set up at home next Monday. I wanted to build a type of art easel/ bulletin board that we can use together and be portable incase we are doing activities outside, in the kitchen, in his room, or wherever. So here is what we came up with...

 Started with the crib sides, cardboard box for a bulletin board, 2 pieces of MDF , chalkboard paint, a 18 inch chain, velcro, fabric, screws, hinge, and some hot glue of course ( what is a project without hot glue)


This piece of MDF was 4$ and they cut it in half for free. One I painted with chalkboard paint, one I glued velcro to, placing the other velcro pieces to the " bullitin board" / cardboard box so that it can come off and the fabric covering can easily be changed. 
These hinges worked best for where I wanted them, but I would recommend large door size hinges if your rails aren't curved like mine.
Because of the shape of the crib sides, the hinges were by far the most difficult part. Getting the drill in that angle was ridiculous. 
Then I took the chain also from the handy dandy home depot- 50 cents 
Simply screwed it from one side to the other right in the middle. This prevents it from flipping completely open. 

Painted one side with chalkboard paint. Mr. helped me cover the homemade bulletin board with a neutral grey/white fabric we scored in the dollar section at walmart.
Then we screwed each board on, screwing in a utensil holder as a home for that pesky chalk . IT took NO time for him to get started coloring...right over my hello kitty 


He had to get his tools to help me get the final screws in...

I took some colored duct tape to make a solid border around the sheet protectors which we pined onto the bulletin board. These will be used to display what unit we are on- our first one being  All about the letter A ! 



Just wanted to show an up close shot of how handy a homemade bulletin board can be!

SO there you have it. Project complete.

 We had a lot of fun making it, but will have even more fun using it!


1 comment:

  1. excellent write up! aren't you worried about one of them eating a pushpin? they seem to be within reach.

    ReplyDelete