Friday, January 18, 2013

weeks 20-21

I really don't even know where to start on these last two weeks. When they say deployment is a roller coaster- this is definitely what they are talking about. But then, when you think about it, life really is. We are all given speed bumps without warning and expected to figure out the best route to take that gets us to the other side. The difference with deployment is that, well, we are forced to face many of these speed bumps alone. It also means that even if these little problems are going on here, there is constantly a HUGE MOUNTAINOUS speed trap in the back of our head... our soldiers safety.

Last week I wrote about the Gluten Free changes we decided to make in our house. It really has been great. We have adapted tons of delicious new recipes, learned a lot, and overall Steven's behavior AND digestion have improved tremendously. And then he was " glutened." Sunday morning he ran into his sunday school class happy as can be. In an effort to avoid any meltdowns, I ducked out as quickly as possible... unfortunately that meant NOT letting his teachers know about his new diet and the fact that he had a nice bag of snacks for himself in his backpack. Instead I blanked and he ended up eating a snack full of ritz crackers with his classmates. We spent a good 24 hours learning just how AWFUL being " glutened" can be after removing it from your diet. We are talking the most violent, out of control, non sleeping, freak outs I have seen maybe ever in a child. But some how we made it through and it was clear as night and day when it made it's way out of his system. My grown up little kind hearted 2 year old was back and ready for anything.

After a few ups and downs this week I decided I was done playing this game and we needed to see the doctor. So we did and they ran the proper bloodwork and samples to hopefully get some answers in the next week.


Whew. Enough of the sob story. Here are some POSITIVE memories from the past two weeks:

Had some fun hanging out in  Grandpa Trumbull's Garage and opening Christmas presents over there...






Life changing: One banana + 2 eggs = naturally gluten free " pancakes" 

Alabama won the national championship, of course. Had to get this shot for Uncle Brad and Aunt Sheila
Gotta love trips to home depot for Mom's Projects! I think they love the cart more...

Ok so this is as the stain was drying. Had been dying to finally make the infamous " pallet projects" we all oo and aa over on pinterest. Built this and stained it for the backyard only to realize it is the most awkward height. Still neat and cost me about 5$ to make so I can't complain


Ok this brought me to tears last week. Steven had been begging to go to the park all day, so after a nice long nap we drove over ( WAY too cold lately to walk) and the first thing he wanted to do was " go see Daddy's brick." All he wanted to do was go sit under the flag, look around, and touch Daddy's brick. Forget the GIANT park behind it , just wanted to hang out with Dad for a little bit . 


Grandma and Grandpa came up to hang out as the boys were getting over being sick. Reading stories and playing cars...


Potty training is going to be a slow process until we get this digestion thing figured out. But he is ALL about his potty and really is doing awesome with it! 

This hair was Getting OUT OF CONTROL! Kaners got his first buzz cut from mama

Daddy has been flying a TON- here is a Gorgeous picture he took for us! 

I only managed to get one long run in before the race this weekend. Hopefully I can keep this pace for Sunday so I can PR!  That would be neat :) 

Cutest boys ever... playing in the bath


I was putting away laundry and walked by this- I can't believe how big Kaners is getting. They are finally at the age where they play together well and it is SO sweet to see. 
Used my Christmas money to order this FUN new toy and I am LOVING it! Cute little pancake 40mm lens


Today we spent the afternoon walking around downtown Phoenix to pick up my race packet and Bib. It was an absolutely BEAUTIFUL day out and the boys loved seeing the big city buildings. 



We have a lot of fun things to look forward to. 


Sunday is the Rock n Roll Marathon in Phoenix. Besides the fact that I am thrilled to only be running 13.1 this time, and that it is a big local race, I also get to run along side a bunch of really awesome people. A friend from high school who just completed an IRONMAN ( or ironWOman in her case) is running with me- TALK about inspiring! 

Next weekend my in-laws from Las Vegas are coming to town and we can't WAIT!!! 

Mr Kaners' FIRST BIRTHDAY PARTY is next weekend. Even just typing that makes me tear up. 



I wouldn't say things are terrible lately, but they definitely aren't great. I guess they just are. We are close to halfway through this deployment and I really just can't wait to make it over this 6 month hump. 

So here is to an AWESOME race weekend here Phoenix- more successful flights for Daddy- some health answers solved for Steven- and a VERY happy Birthday party for Mr. Kane!!! 
















No comments:

Post a Comment